The ULC Director of Research and Data will catalyze action for meaningful change by driving research, data analysis and data visualization for libraries to maximize community impact. Libraries are key community fulcrums of learning, support and inclusion – central to the future of cities across North America. The Director of Research and Data is a storyteller who uses cogent quantitative data and best practices to elevate the voice of urban libraries both at the North American level and within local communities. This full-time position is located in Washington, D.C. and reports to the President and CEO.
The Director of Director of Research and Data will:
- Lead and build research programs that strengthen communities by improving data and analysis on libraries and their community outcomes.
- Connect library executives and ULC colleagues to national and local initiatives, innovations and cutting-edge research and data on trends, outcomes, equity measures and mapping ecosystems and areas of community need.
- Inform and collaborate on ULC’s initiatives, conferences and reports including working closely to advise program data collection and grant outcomes reporting.
Co-create ULC’s Research and Data Action Agenda (10%)
Collaborate with the President and CEO, member input and ULC colleagues to create an annual workplan for ULC’s research and data.
- Develop ULC’s data and research workplan with key deliverables for the year.
- Develop an Edge 360 program, product and data impact plan.
- Advise related communications plans and campaigns.
- Develop revenue to support initiatives and build funder relationships.
Develop and strengthen member resources, data visualization and products (30%)
Work with cross-functional teams including communications and member programs to share emerging data and research trends and their relevance to the work and mission of the public library.
- Manage and develop action team(s) and member discussion groups.
- Manage member surveys and data collection across programs and function areas.
- Identify, frame and support creation of member knowledge resources.
Lead research and demonstration projects (30%)
Lead and manage implementation of complex multi-year research and demonstration projects including mentoring and managing program staff and senior consultants. Build strong partnerships and increase of the visibility of public libraries as community leaders. Key responsibilities include:
- Research and field scans
- Partnerships (local and national)
- Peer learning cohorts
- Library leader capacity building
- Evaluation, data and metrics
- Knowledge resources and publications
- Program and project management
Lead data collection, data visualization and data fluency initiatives (30%)
Lead and manage implementation of data and research initiatives including managing staff, consultants and building strong partnerships.
- Lead Edge 360 program analysis, including data driven analyses and cross-site outcomes-based reporting to include reports, data visualizations, and impact reports.
- Identify and develop metrics, surveys, reports, ecosystem maps, and data to support each of ULC’s research and grant funded projects.
- Ability be a collaborative and effective leader.
- Excellent verbal, written and visual communication skills.
- Comprehensive understanding of program design, measuring community impact and systems of change.
- Experience working with public libraries, local government and/or public sector agencies.
- Experience and dedication to working on race equity and inclusion initiatives.
- Experience with adult learning strategies, evaluation, and data and metrics relevant to community outcomes.
- Ability to travel in accordance with various work assignments.
Salary and benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience. ULC offers employees a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, disability and life insurance and an employer funded retirement plan.
Hybrid Workplace and Remote Work:
ULC is committed to fostering a collaborative environment in a close-knit organization. We are a hybrid team and each of us work in the office two to three days per week. All candidates must either be local or willing to relocate.
ULC Team Statement on Race and Social Equity:
We are committed to racial and social equity by contributing to a more just society in which everyone can realize their full potential. This includes holding ourselves accountable for an open environment that encourages honest dialogue and a commitment to anti-racism.
Cover letter and resume should be sent to email@example.com to the attention of Angela Goodrich, Finance and Administration Executive.