The Urban Libraries Council (ULC) is an innovation and action tank of North America’s leading public library systems. We drive cutting-edge research and strategic partnerships to elevate the power of libraries as essential and transformative institutions. ULC is a hybrid working environment and collaborative team.
Libraries are impactful community leaders for democracy, race equity, economic opportunity, education and inclusion and central to the future of healthy cities.
The ULC National Program Manager will catalyze action for meaningful change by strengthening research and peer learning communities and capturing data to maximize community impact. This full-time position is located in Washington, D.C. and reports to the Director of Research and Data and Director of Racial Equity and Community Impact.
The Program Manager will have the opportunity to:
- Bolster public libraries’ ability to collaborate and learn from each other to innovate and meet their communities’ needs.
- Manage research and programs that strengthen communities and improve data on library impact and provide analysis of their community outcomes.
- Reinforce an understanding of anti-racism to support libraries in applying an equity lens at the system level as part of their role building healthy, sustainable communities.
Areas of responsibility:
Develop and strengthen member resources, data visualization and products | 25%
Support and develop metrics, surveys, reports, ecosystem maps, and data to support each of ULC’s research and grant funded projects.
- Manage member surveys and data collection across programs and function areas.
- Support action team(s) and member discussion groups.
- Support creation of member knowledge resources.
Manage research and demonstration projects | 25%
Manage implementation of complex multi-year research and demonstration projects. Key responsibilities include:
- Research, surveys and field scans
- Peer learning cohorts
- Evaluation, data and metrics
- Knowledge resources and publications
- Program and project management
- Grant reporting and results and budget monitoring
Manage library benchmarking platform and data initiatives | 50%
Manage engagement of benchmarks, comparison data, representative samples and capacity building workshops to ensure engagement in ULC platforms, tools and resources.
- Manage state library / province-wide peer learning cohorts currently focused on strengthening data fluency and building digital inclusion.
- Support libraries engaged in topic area benchmarks, resources and capacity building on anti-racism, democracy, digital equity and economic opportunity.
- Manage customer support, communications, feedback and engagement.
- Manage online knowledge resources and data visualization reports.
- Bachelor’s degree required, with a minimum of 3-5 years of program management experience executing large scale projects.
- Preference for candidates with a demonstrated understanding of equity, diversity and inclusion and a demonstrated interest in strengthening urban communities.
- Experience in content creation and/or development of tools and resources.
- Knowledge of the nonprofit arena; equitable community impact efforts in anti-racism, democracy, health, economic opportunity; and/or city and library planning.
- Excellent communication, writing, data management, customer service, facilitation and interpersonal skills.
- Must be organized, proactive and demonstrate an ability to independently manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Collaborative attitude, and sense of teamwork required. Willingness to travel.
Salary and benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience. ULC offers employees a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, disability and life insurance and an employer funded retirement plan.
Hybrid Workplace and Remote Work:
ULC is committed to fostering a collaborative environment in a close-knit organization. We are a hybrid team and each of us work in the office two to three days per week. All candidates must either be local or willing to relocate.
ULC Team Statement on Race and Social Equity:
We are committed to racial and social equity by contributing to a more just society in which everyone can realize their full potential. This includes holding ourselves accountable for an open environment that encourages honest dialogue and a commitment to anti-racism.
Cover letter and resume should be sent to email@example.com to the attention of Angela Goodrich, Finance and Administration Executive.