ULC's Going Forward from the Pandemic is an unprecedented effort to mobilize ULC's entire member community to establish new models, techniques and approaches that can help all libraries lead their communities into a stronger post-pandemic future.
This initiative's work is being led by six action teams, comprised of over 90 total leaders from ULC libraries, who are focused on identifying immediate ways that all libraries can overcome key challenges in the COVID-19 era. Use the links below to learn more about the work of these teams.
Faces on the Front Line
Chicago Public Library
This week, library staff helped Chicagoans engage their civic duty by completing the 2020 Census!Learn More
St. Louis County Library
This week, library staff provided over 2,600 hotspots to the Riverview Gardens School District to help students stay connected this school year!Learn More
San Mateo County Libraries
City Librarian James Moore shares a photo of the new permanent voting station installed at the library’s Marina branch!Learn More
Grand Rapids Public Library
Staff members from the West Side branch repurposed the library’s supply of craft materials to create hundreds of craft bags for local elementary schools to give out during their back-to-school supply pick up.Learn More
Pioneer Library System
Norman Central’s Annette got her steps in this week helping customers pick up books curbside!Learn More
Kalamazoo Public Library
KPL librarian Miss Sarah shares fun stories, songs and more during virtual storytime.Learn More
Anchorage Public Library
Interlibrary loan rockstar Lena helps patrons fill reading requests during the pandemic.Learn More
Alameda County Library
Alameda County Library staff painted bright physical distancing markers to promote safety using stencils made in their Archimedes Makerspace.Learn More
- The ULC Executive Board identifies the need for ULC libraries to join forces at a greater scale than ever before to address the issues of COVID-19.
- The ULC Executive Board issues a statement to all ULC members, announcing the Going Forward from the Pandemic initiative.
- Leaders from ULC's member community join the ULC Executive Board for a Member Summit to kick off the Going Forward from the Pandemic initiative.
- ULC issues an initial call for recommendations for the initiative's action teams.
- ULC finalizes the initial roster of action team participants.
- The Atlantic highlights the initiative in a spotlight on "The Post-pandemic Future of Libraries."
- The Philadelphia Tribune highlights the initative in a spotlight on "How libraries are moving ... toward reopening."
- Four of the six action teams begin to meet and advance their work, including the teams focused on Digital Equity, Entrepreneurs and Small Businesses, Partnering with Schools and Race and Social Equity.
- The Schools, Health & Libraries Broadband (SHLB) Coalition highlights the Digital Equity action team launch in their Anchor Bytes newsletter.
- ULC publishes the Digital Equity in the Age of COVID-19 Leadership Brief, informed by the work and expert guidance of ULC’s Digital Equity action team.
- ULC's Partnering with Schools action team member Beth Yoke pens a ULC blog post, Now is the Time for Risk-Taking & Experimentation, which highlights the unique ways Cincinnati & Hamilton County Public Library is serving students in a learning environment that is a mix of in-person and remote learning.