NEXT Library 2014: Accelerate Learning
Chicago Public Library, Chicago, IL, USA
What is the NEXT Library Conference?
The NEXT Library Conference is an international gathering of forward-thinking library professionals, innovators and decision-makers who are pushing boundaries and making changes that support learning in the 21st century.
Created by Denmark’s Aarhus Public Libraries and first presented in 2009, the purpose of the NEXT Library Conference is to look ahead and explore the continuously evolving nature of the public library in the 21st century. For the first time and in partnership with Aarhus Public Libraries, the Chicago Public Library and the Urban Libraries Council will bring the NEXT Conference to North America on June 20-25, 2014, at the Chicago Public Library.
NEXT Library is more than a conference; it is a community that has grown to include over 500 library leaders and innovators from around the world. The NEXT Library global kaleidoscope includes Australia, Austria, Bhutan, Botswana, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Canada, China, Columbia, Croatia, Denmark, Egypt, Faroe Islands, Finland, Germany, Greece, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, New Zealand, Nepal, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Singapore, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Uganda, UK, Ukraine, USA and Vietnam.
NEXT Library CONFEREnce 2014 Theme:
Accelerate Learning, reflects the rapid pace of change in today’s world as well as the reality that learning in the 21st century is a means of individual empowerment, community well-being and social change. As the experience of learning continues to evolve, libraries everywhere have a vital role to play – as partners in the community learning ecosystem, and as leaders in advancing strong learning outcomes that improve people’s lives.
NEXT Library Conference 2014 Keynote Speakers:
- Bo Stjerne Thomsen, Director, Research & Learning, The LEGO Foundation
- John G. Palfrey, Jr., Head of Schools, Philips Academy
- Tina Sciabica, Executive Director, READ Global
NEXT Library Conference 2014 Learning Paths:
NEXT Library activities are high-energy, interactive and highly participatory. In addition to inspiring keynote presenters, there will be facilitated sessions organized around the following four learning paths which mirror the overall conference theme:
- PATRON AS THE CENTER OF DESIGN: Explore how Human Centered Design principals can be applied to program and service development. Discover how libraries are involving patrons and communities in their service and program design efforts. These sessions will highlight the critical importance of co-creation in supporting a community of learners.
- LEVERAGING PARTNERSHIPS FOR ENHANCED LEARNING OUTCOMES: Explore libraries' role in building more effective and comprehensive learning ecosystems within communities. Participants will share ideas, experiences and best practices that help their libraries create collaborative relationships that best support learning for diverse patron groups.
- LEARNING THROUGH CREATION: Share the experiences, ideas, opportunities and challenges of engaging users in creative activities. These sessions will invite conference participants to connect with and explore emerging practices in connected learning, makerspaces, arts and STEM learning initiatives within libraries and other institutions.
- LEVERAGING TECHNOLOGY FOR LEARNING: Identify, explore and discuss technology trends or breakthroughs that are leading to new models of learning, training and connecting - from simulations to gaming or interactive learning to virtual schools. Explore how libraries are using technology to accelerate 21st century learning.
Peer networking, provocative conversations and participant-led sessions will take place at NEXT Library 2014 along with a welcome reception and networking dinner.
Thank you for registering for NEXT Library 2014. We look forward to seeing you in Chicago!
Registration for NEXT Library 2014 is officially closed.