To achieve its mission, ULC has set goals to:
- Provide ideas, knowledge, tools and techniques that will help library leaders in their work with people and their communities.
- Lead and recognize innovations that drive leading practices in libraries and local communities.
- Support leaders, those who are leading libraries as well as those leaders supporting libraries, in the public and private sectors.
ULC strengthens the 21st century library and the community it serves by:
- Connecting members to cutting edge ideas, leaders, experts and research.
- Creating and supporting the ongoing development of a robust community of practice.
- Supporting current and next generation leaders through innovative professional development.
- Identifying forward-thinking library concepts and frameworks for the creation of new business models.
- Building strong partnerships with funders, local government and civic leaders.