Five-Star Customer Service Program
Miami-Dade Public Library System
Problem StatementThe Miami-Dade Public Library System enjoyed a very comfortable rating in all public service surveys. Regardless of what the customer experience was, the Library had an approval rating in the 90+ percentile. What exactly did that rating imply? Were customers really that happy with the Library? How could we really gather meaningful information? What is the user experience we want our customers to have? We wanted to WOW! our customers and “up the ante” by making our customers aware of our new expectations.
InnovationThe first step was to develop an overall vision statement that would reflect the values of the Library and express our commitment to our customers. Vision: The Miami-Dade Public Library System will be the compelling community destination by providing a five-star customer service experience. Now that we knew what we wanted had to change the way we did business. We call it our Five-Star Commitment Program.
- Attitude: To be here for you. The only reason we are here is because you are here.
- Resources: To provide opportunities for lifelong learning and exploration. The Library is an important component in the formal or informal educational process and human development.
- Expertise: To be your best search engine. The Library staff has expertise and can assist you in finding the information you seek.
- Empowerment: To open doors for you. Information is an empowering tool. With the huge compliment of Library educational, informational and recreational programs, the Library can certainly open many doors of understanding and knowledge.
- Environment: To provide an inviting, comfortable, and clean Library. Since we are the compelling community place, we wanted to make sure that our customers found the Library open, clean and comfortable. This commitment impacted operations. We had to adequately budget for security, create open inviting spaces with more tables and chairs on a more “human” scale, and assure that our janitorial contracts were responsive to our needs.