*Updated February 2014
This is a full time position located in Washington, D.C.
The Urban Libraries Council (ULC) is the premier membership organization for North America's leading public library systems. ULC and its members lead research aimed at creating new models and tools for the library, enhancing its ability to continuously support the aspirations of the communities and the people they serve.
ULC provides the forum for leaders to share ideas and initiate conversations that inspire innovative practices and programs that support 21st century learning, a strong economy and an active democracy.
This position will work across all aspects of ULC's communications including articulating the strategic roles of public libraries in the communities they serve, developing and implementing bold national communications and marketing campaigns for key initiatives, creating and integrating strong key messages across multiple media platforms, developing and managing media relations, and developing ULC's online and social media presence.
The full-time Communications Director will work in a team environment to create communications initiatives that empower ULC to promote 21st century libraries and their critical value as leaders in their communities. The position will be located in the Washington D.C. office and is an exciting opportunity to join and develop a growing team working to enhance high profile national research and programs. The Director will report to the Strategic Initiatives and Program Development Executive.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Develop complex, multi-year communications campaigns to heighten visibility and understanding of public libraries and their role as leaders in the community.
- Develop and direct ULC’s communications strategy including key messages, brand awareness, and ensuring integration of messages across the organization.
- Develop and lead ongoing ULC member and key local leader communication campaigns to promote ULC's strategic focus areas of learning, digital inclusion, civic engagement and sustainable communities as well as the association's conferences, research, member innovations and awards.
- Develop and direct ULC's media relations and create a national presence for ULC and for its members.
- Manage and direct ULC's social media and online presence including website, Twitter and Facebook.
- Establish and direct an effective communications team composed of staff and external consultants as needed.
- Create resources, materials, publications, online resources and toolkits to support activities across ULC's programs and initiatives.
- Manage and direct the production of ULC's weekly e-newsletter including development of articles, interviews and overall content schedule.
- Serve on ULC’s cross functional teams for programs, strategic initiatives, membership development and conference activities.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in communications/marketing
- Bachelor’s degree in Mass Marketing Communications, Journalism or Marketing. Master’s preferred
- Experience developing and leading organization wide communication strategies
- Experience creating and implementing national communication campaigns
- Experience with association communications and working with national media
- Experience in website content management and data collection and analysis
- Excellent writing, visual and verbal presentation skills
- Strong project and staff management experience
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is competitive with the D.C. market and commensurate with experience. ULC offers employees a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, disability and life insurance and an employer funded retirement plan.
Please send cover letter, resume, salary requirements and samples of plans/materials created for national campaigns to: email@example.com Attention: Angela Goodrich, Strategic Initiatives and Program Development Executive.