Posted July 18, 2014
This is a full time position located in Washington, DC
About the Urban Libraries Council
For more than 30 years, the Urban Libraries Council (ULC) has worked to strengthen public libraries as an essential part of community life. Serving more than 90 million people in the United States and Canada, ULC’s 130 library members prove each day how essential libraries are to the health and vitality of their communities. ULC serves as a forum to initiate conversations among the most innovative library leaders in North America and other community leaders; a research center to explore new models and tools for enhancing the library’s community impact, a clearinghouse for sharing library innovations and best practices to promote, support, and recognize creativity and risk taking among library leaders; and a collective voice for the 21st century public library. Visit www.urbanlibraries.org for more information about ULC.
Opportunities for the Communications Coordinator
ULC is looking for a tech-savvy communications coordinator with a combination of design, writing, and messaging curiosity and interest to bolster ULC’s commitment to our members and to the communities in which they live and work.
The Communications Coordinator will have the opportunity to:
- Increase national awareness of public libraries’ purpose, resources and impact.
- Work with media to feature the innovations, creativity, diversity and evolution of the 21st century library.
- Assist director in production of a wide range of print and electronic communications.
- Assist in website and social media strategy and implementation.
- Execute a wide variety of details that involve social media, direct mail, email campaigns, conferences and events, public relations, member relations, media relations, promotions and communications and marketing planning.
- Track campaigns and analytics and work with the director to develop reports.
- Develop presentations and proposals.
- Produce and disseminate weekly e-newsletter.
- Assist in writing, tracking and delivery of press releases.
- Work with director on messaging and positioning.
- Attend conferences and events to represent ULC.
- Monitor articles and blogs for tracking communications related to ULC.
- Work with members to develop case studies, references, and testimonials.
Some of the Communications Coordinator’s major responsibilities include:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office; content management systems (like Drupal); email platforms (like Constant Contact or MailChimp); design software (like InDesign); and webinar platforms.
- Proficiency with social media (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and others) and social media management solutions (like Buffer, Hootsuite or TweetDeck).
- Effective understanding of emerging technologies and how they can be applicable to communications and marketing.
- A general curiosity and fearlessness when approaching and learning new technology solutions.
- Excellent copywriting skills and editorial skills with the ability to write across various mediums for various audiences.
- Self motivated, confident, respectful, energetic, innovative, resourceful and creative.
- Excellent communicator both verbally and in writing with all types of people.
Desired Profile of the Communications Coordinator
The ideal Communications Coordinator will be an experienced communications professional program manager who is focused, confident, creative, flexible, collaborative, able to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines, comfortable with uncertainty and evolving directions, and excited about rising to the next level. Specific qualifications include:
- Minimum of 3-7 years of experience working for an organization’s communications or marketing department or with agency.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, advertising, design, public administration, or non-profit management preferred.
- Ability to work in collaborative teams from multiple organizations and with ULC leaders, members, and staff.
- Hard worker with a great attitude that likes to get things done!
About the Position
This position is located in Washington, DC and reports to the Director of Communications. The salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. ULC offers a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, disability, and life insurance, and an employer-funded retirement plan. Applications Please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: email@example.com