Director of Communications
Urban Libraries Council (ULC) is seeking a dynamic, collaborative and results-oriented senior-level communications leader to guide and implement strategic communications and outreach efforts.
For more than 40 years, ULC has enriched communities by strengthening and promoting the value of libraries as essential public assets. ULC provides a forum for library leaders to share best practices and innovative ideas that inspire programs that support 21st century learning, a strong economy and an active democracy. Working with leading national organizations, ULC serves as a voice for public library systems, and is recognized for creating new frameworks that invigorate public libraries and their communities. ULC is the premier membership association of North America’s leading public library systems and the organizations that serve them.
The Director of Communications work closely with ULC’s senior leadership team and reports to the Member Programs Executive. The Director of Communications plays a critical role in the communication of ULC’s focus areas and foundational priorities, which have been developed to support leading libraries and community development. This includes following strategic themes: Education; Digital Inclusion and Fluency; and Healthy Lives, Sustainable Communities.
The Director of Communications responsibilities include:
- Develop, implement and analyze ULC’s annual strategic communications plan.
- Create, direct and implement communications initiatives and campaigns.
- Conduct monthly planning meetings across program teams to identify and manage upcoming communication priorities and implement strategies appropriately.
- Lead content generation and dissemination, including the release of news, development of key messages, web content and social media dialogue that speaks in the voice of ULC.
- Manage the development and maintenance of collateral, including the newsletter, brochures, publications and other materials.
- Develop and manage media contacts and foster ongoing relationships with national and regional news media outlets through story angle outreach.
- Connect and collaborate with key influencers and leaders to broaden ULC’s outreach efforts.
- Develop presentations and executive speeches for senior team members and ULC Board Members.
- Identify and develop opportunities for leadership to speak to key audiences.
- Work closely with ULC’s marketing communications agency and manage external contractors on the creation of content, web design, graphic design, and printing.
- Track, measure and analyze news media, web and social media engagement.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations or similar.
- Master’s degree or APR designation preferred.
- 7—10 years of experience in communications for an international association, non-profit, public library system, or city/county government.
- At least 5 years in a supervisory/management role.
- Strong writing, copy editing, project management and design skills including the use of InDesign.
- Strong media relations skills with proven national media contacts.
- Connector, creative story-teller and communicator. A networker and self-starter.
Salary and benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience. ULC offers employees a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, disability and life insurance and an employer funded retirement plan.
Cover letter and resume should be sent to email@example.com attention Angela Goodrich, Finance and Development Executive.